Wednesday, September 28, 2022

How Do We Talk About Issues That Matter?

If something matters, you need to voice it. Whether it is with your friends, family, or sometimes even strangers. How do we voice issues that matter within a classroom setting? There are many ways to do this, and the school systems do some of the work for us. They speak on things such as the importance of voting, why not to do drugs, or how to treat people with kindness. But how do we speak on more serious matters? 

Back when I was a junior in high school, I remember a couple of speakers coming to our school to talk about mental health. Mental health is something serious and something to pay attention to, these speakers called to this point. They had interesting things to say and do that kept your attention until the presentation was over. I had mostly walked away from these presentations all teared up because their words really stuck with me. Another type of presentation I had seen were the talks about addiction. "Don't do drugs" was always a big topic in school, now as we were older, they talked about addiction and what you could do if you or someone you knew experienced it. It was always a sore topic for my school because we did in fact need the information presented, even if no one wanted to fully admit it. These presentations only came when we were old enough to understand the topics at hand. What about younger kids though?

When I was younger, I remember a presentation put on in our school gym by a man who was skilled at the yo-yo. What his message was to us, I do not recall but I do remember him doing the trick "walking the dog" with his yo-yo. I do not remember any significant presentation that we needed to hear, even from inside the classroom the only think that spoke on an important issue was "red ribbon week" which was supposed to be our call to be drug free, but I think at my school it was just a week to play games and have field day. I think this ideal even lasted until at least the 5th grade. With middle school I have no recollection at all of any speaker or in class presentation that didn't have to do with drug use that even took place at the school. Is it on purpose that these crucial years are devoid of influence from anyone? Even if the influence, encourages students to be aware of their mental health, to stay away from drugs, to seek help if they need it, or even to be kind to everyone. 

Is there a better way to give information that will stick with students? And how do we speak on issues that really matter? How do we include younger children, so they are able to understand and receive the information? How do we help 6th through 8th graders receive this information without if being too much or too childish? I feel these are core questions we must answer before we can discuss what can be presented to children in public school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Makes Teaching Great?

 I could not tell exactly way teaching is great. It is hard to place such a feeling. Perhaps is it the smiles you get from the students when...